Thursday, October 16, 2008

Week in review

As I write this, I can hear Kevin saying "You need to go to bed!" but he isn't here tonight so I stay up and blog. :) I'll pay for this later...

I'll pay, mainly because sleep has been elusive this week. Monday and Tuesday mornings, Samuel woke up early and the only consoling he would accept was to lay in the family bed, between us. OK, fine. We just got back from a trip, I thought. He should be over this soon. Right.

Tuesday afternoon I was playing with him in the floor and when I picked him up, I immediately noticed his back felt very warm. I took his temperature and he had a low fever. I figured it was because he is getting a new tooth (#2). Being like most other moms, I gave him some Tylenol and took him to the grocery store. Later that evening, after the pediatricians office closed (it always happen like that!) his fever was higher, like in the 102's. He was really not himself and just miserable. Kevin and I struggled with the decision: do we wait until the morning and call his doctor or do we take him to urgent care? I waited until Kevin was in bed to decide that we needed to go to the clinic. Really, I didn't but it just worked out that way. Sorry, Kevin.

We got there around midnight and after 2 pukey shirts, 1 chest x-ray, 1 throat culture, 1 mid-night call to the PCH pulmonologist and a prescription for antibiotics, we got to go home. It was about 3 am. Wednesday was miserable as I struggled to give him enough fluids, clean up those fluids when they came back, then try to feed him and keep him comfortable. It's heartbreaking when he looks at me, crying and says, "ma-ma-ma-ma".

BUT, his fever broke last night, thanks to many prayers of our friends and family! And today, he's back to his old self: digging through the cabinets and climbing the stairs. In fact, today he made it all the way to the top and half-way to the office when I caught up with him. When he sees me coming, he crawls as fast as he can like he's running away. As funny as it is to watch, we are really trying to discourage that behavior for when he starts walking. I can hear you all saying "good luck" with a sly grin on your face. Thanks. Thanks a lot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that Samuel is feeling better!!

XO
Mom :)